Thursday, September 1, 2011

Ribs are here!

The baby backs were just picked up! We ended up with five meaty racks for seven people! And they were $5.50 a LB! Insane! I know, it's a crazy amount. Parents thought leftovers would be nice.

I get a measly rack to smoke for our family competition, so I cut them in half and put them in a drink of apple juice concentrate diluted down to the top of the ribs in a Zip-Loc bag, plus a teaspoon and a half of dried mustard, a teaspoon of Old Bay, and a couple tablespoons of Brown Sugar, plus some salt and ground black pepper. I'll take them out in 24-26 hours, and then give them a very light rub of brown sugar, dried mustard, and Old Bay. Later on in the cook, I'll be using my signature sauce. Most people just rub and sauce, but I need to go the extra mile so my ribs won! Triple levels of flavor.


On the negative, I won't be picking up the Brinkmann tonight since we're going to a minor league baseball game, the last home game! We got free tickets from a rainout so why not! Besides that I don't get my smoker till tomorrow, if it's not sold today.

Also on the positive I picked up three center pork chops also at the Amish market for $9, why not? A nice thick pork chop a person. Plus we got a quarter pound of dried mustard so I think I'm going to try some mustard chops now that we have this awesome spice! Hopefully I'll have the smoker up and running with the charcoal tray drilled out and elevated for better airflow. I'll be sure to post pics!


That's all for today, I'm figuring that I won't be doing the potato salad till tomorrow morning. Friday'll be the busiest day, plus I got to finish summer reading. Potato Salad, Salsa, Vegetable Broth for Boiled Ribs (I'm helping the competition) and our last bit of shopping.


See you guys till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment